Tsori – located in the Dzheyrahsky district of Ingushetia.
Tsori is a XVth century fortified tower complex with 3 battle towers and several residential buildings – typical Vainakh castle complex. It was surrounded by a fortified wall from which only the foundation stands today. Burial vaults lie a few meters from it.
Tsori, like all the other historic sites, was severely damaged during the XIX century Russian conquest of the Caucasus.
In 2011, the Russian authorities decided to build a 60 billion ruble ski resort in the region.
Ikalchu is a XIV century fortress complex located in Meshi-Khi River valley, Chechnya. The gorge is heavily fortified as there are dozens of tower complexes along it.
Ikalchu is part of the Argun State History, Architecture and Nature Museum Reserve, which covers hundreds of ancient towers, settlements and fortifications in southern Chechnya. Many were destroyed during the Caucasian wars, during the Soviet deportations, and again during the 1990’s Chechen-Russian wars. Around 200 structures are still standing today (though none fully intact).
Ikalchu residential towers and fortress complex
Neighboring battle tower (the valley is heavily fortified)
Ikalchu residential towers from the distance
Kahib was built between the 8th and 10th centuries by the Avars. It is located in Shamilsky district of central Dagestan.
The word ” Kahib ” is derived from the Georgian word ” Kahi “, which means scarce highland.
The old and current village are divided by a river valley, which also made the old village hard to access.
Its walls, like many structures of the Caucasus mountains, are adorned with pagan symbolism and solar signs, part of their religion before the conversion to Islam.
Symbols of the pre-muslim Pagan religion
Kahib in 1923