Digoria is a historical region in the northern part of the Great Caucasus Mountains, compromised of today’s Irafsky and Digorsky districts in North Ossetia-Alania. The name originates from Digor people (an Ossetian subgroup). The Digor were deported by Stalin to Siberia. Many died during deportation; the survivors returned after Stalin’s death in 1957.
Alania national park occupies half of the territory of Digoria. Digoria has the second largest glacier in the North Caucasus – Karaugomsky. Having been place of an ancient trade route, one can still find remains of multi-towered cave based fortress, the temple of Saint George built in 17th century and sanctuaries. * George – the heavenly warrior, patron and protector of warriors was highly revered in the ancient Ossetian land; his local name is “Wasgergi”.
Archeological excavations at 2000 meters altitude have also revealed 7000 years-old pottery.