Tsymyti, North Ossetia (central Caucasus mountains)

Caucasus Mountains medieval Tsymyti Fiagdon North Caucasus beautiful scenery eastern europe

Tsymyti is a medieval fortified settlement located in the Kurtat gorge, on the banks of Upper Fiagdon river. According to historians, it was built in the XIV century, thei locals’ occupations consisted of cattle breeding, agriculture, bee-keeping and hunting. Tsymyti was also known for its blacksmiths specialized in weaponry.

The settlement had over 30 combat towers, residential towers, crypts, monuments etc. During the Soviet period, the inhabitants were forced out to move and work in the new Soviet collective farms, and the settlement was destroyed.

The architecture is similar to Nakh architecture (Ingush and Chechen towers).

Dzivgis settlement, North Ossetia-Alania (Central Caucasus mountains)

Dzivgis – large medieval large settlement, where fortresses, temples and shrines formed a one-piece “military- ideological complex”, spiritual stronghold and strategic safety of residents.

Dzivgis cave fortress – built in the XIII-XVI centuries, located on the left bank of Fiagdon river in the Kurtat gorge in North Ossetia-Alania.

The fortress/cave could accommodate at least one hundred people.

In addition to Dzivgis fortress in the village survived : two watchtowers, tsyrty – pillars , ground burials , crypts and the cult complex Dzivgisy-Dzuar sanctuary.

In 1830, Tsarist troops destroyed a significant number of fortifications and other structures in settlement (as they did throughout the entire North Caucasus region).

Historic Digoria region, North Ossetia-Alania

Caucasus mountains old settlement Alania national park Digoria North Ossetia-Alania

Digoria is a historical region in the northern part of the Great Caucasus Mountains, compromised of today’s Irafsky and Digorsky districts in North Ossetia-Alania. The name originates from Digor people (an Ossetian subgroup). The Digor were deported by Stalin to Siberia. Many died during deportation; the survivors returned after Stalin’s death in 1957.

Alania national park occupies half of the territory of Digoria. Digoria has the second largest glacier in the North Caucasus – Karaugomsky. Having been place of an ancient trade route, one can still find remains of multi-towered cave based fortress, the temple of Saint George built in 17th century and sanctuaries. * George – the heavenly warrior, patron and protector of warriors was highly  revered in the ancient Ossetian land; his local name is “Wasgergi”.

Archeological excavations at 2000 meters altitude have also revealed 7000 years-old pottery.

Alania Assumption monastery, North Ossetia-Alania

 

Alania Assumption monastery is a christian settlement located in Khidikus village from Alagirsky district, North Ossetia-Alania.  The monastery is situated in the picturesque Kurtat gorge.

Genaldon valley & Kolka disaster

Genaldon valley is situated in the western part of Prigorodny district of North Ossetia–Alania, which used to be part of Ingushetia until the 1944 deportation of Ingush people when the territory was transferred to North Ossetia.

The region is rich in glaciers; Genaldon valley has the Kolka and Maili glaciers.

The Genaldon river ends at the Karmadon valley gates.

In 2002, the Kolka glacier collapsed completely and reversed 20 million tons of ice, snow and rock onto Genaldon and Kamardon valleys on an 18 km stretch, which killed 125 people. Only 20 bodies were recovered.

 

KARMADON MEMORIAL

Ossetia traditional costumes Ossetian people

Traditional costumes of Ossetian people, whose land is presently divided into North Ossetia-Alania and South Ossetia.

Ossetians are an Iranic people who migrated to the Caucasus region after their kingdom (located on Volga) was destroyed by the Huns in 374; they adapted to the Caucasian culture, which can be seen in their national costume and traditions.

Fiagdon river, Central Caucasus mountains (North Ossetia)