The name “Vovnushki” originates from the Ingush “Vov” (military tower).
Vovnushki is a XII-XVII century complex of towers built on top of a rock, near Guloy-khi river; the towers are jointed together. Another tower is built on a separate cliff. The two separate towers used to be connected by a pendant bridge (as seen in the painting below).
The tower complex was part of the Silk Road (ancient trade route used for commercial and cultural trade between civilizations); it specifically protected what was called “the Ingush Road”. Trade caravans would cross the gorge to reach the Main Ridge of the Caucasus and then trailed along the Sunzha River valley to get to Magas city.
The rest of the settlement also includes crypts for burial, sanctuaries, mausoleums. Vovnushki belongs to Dzheyrahsky – Assinsky Museum-Reserve.
For video in English CLICK HERE
The port town of Anacopia (now located in New Athos city) was recorded by Greeks in the 3rd century. In the 5th century Georgians built a fortress on top of the Iverian mountain, alarmed by the Arab invasion of the Caucasus.
Anacopia served as capital within the Byzatine empire, and later on in the 8th century became the capital of the Abkhazian Kingdom. It was ceded to the Byzantines again for a short period until the Georgians took it back in 1072.
The Arabs never managed to conquer the fortress, instead they captured Derbent city from Dagestan in 654.
*Abkhazia is a breakway region of Georgia, under Russian defacto control. For more info click here
Kahib was built between the 8th and 10th centuries by the Avars. It is located in Shamilsky district of central Dagestan.
The word ” Kahib ” is derived from the Georgian word ” Kahi “, which means scarce highland.
The old and current village are divided by a river valley, which also made the old village hard to access.
Its walls, like many structures of the Caucasus mountains, are adorned with pagan symbolism and solar signs, part of their religion before the conversion to Islam.
Symbols of the pre-muslim Pagan religion
Kahib in 1923