Kahib was built between the 8th and 10th centuries by the Avars. It is located in Shamilsky district of central Dagestan.
The word ” Kahib ” is derived from the Georgian word ” Kahi “, which means scarce highland.
The old and current village are divided by a river valley, which also made the old village hard to access.
Its walls, like many structures of the Caucasus mountains, are adorned with pagan symbolism and solar signs, part of their religion before the conversion to Islam.
Symbols of the pre-muslim Pagan religion
Kahib in 1923